https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Robins Of The Year

Earlier this week - I hope it was Tuesday and not Monday - the neighbor across the road had a crew come through and clear out his fence row.  I felt bad for any wildlife that had been used to having cover over there, but didn't think any further about it.  Tuesday's weather was almost tolerable. Wednesday was brutally hot.

It never cooled off enough last night to open the windows and turn the AC off.  Anyone who knows me knows how. hot. that. meant. it. was.  It was 72 at 6:00 this morning.  At least it was overcast at times and I worked around the farm and then at lunchtime headed to town to deliver some printing for Tim.

As I pulled out of our driveway and started down the lane I saw it.  A robin nest sitting on top of a now completely exposed fence post.  Not just a nest, but an adult robin standing over some babies. Open mouthed panting. I felt sick.

I couldn't get to town and back fast enough (luckily just a few minutes away).  Saint Tim and I formulated a plan en route and when I got home I gathered up some pine branches and wire ties and headed down the road.  The adult was still standing over the nest, but darted away as I approached.

I didn't waste any time taking any pictures and didn't really look into the nest any more than to see that the babies were still alive.  The branches went up easier than I thought they might and I think they'll hold at least for a few days...unless we get a big storm.  Fingers crossed. I then grabbed my binoculars and moved away to see if the parents would be willing to come back.  They did.  

Not only did they come back to feed the babies, but they both were feeding the babies, not one standing in the nest...and it dawned on me that one of those adults had spent the last few days standing over their babies trying to provide as much shade as they could.  That is not a dumb animal.

Let me introduce you to the robins of the year!   


The pictures aren't great because I didn't want to bother them.  They'd had enough stress the last couple of days.  I sat out on the other side of the wet weather creek in the blazing sun.  You know, my favorite thing to do during my favorite season of the year :-o. 


You may be able to click to biggify.


They cautiously approach and then swoop right in.  Hard to capture.


This last picture was taken from The Unit, parked up next to the garage in the shade just a few minutes ago.  I've been stalking them off and on all afternoon (with Weaslie and an ice cold beverage ;-), just to make sure everything is going okay.  Everything seems good.  

Interestingly, while I was sitting there, a robin flew over and landed on the fence next to me.  It stared at me for a good while and then flew down into the pasture.  It joined up with another bird and they both hunted around, slowly working their way over towards the nest.  I can't swear they were the "right" birds, but the behavior was curious and if so...you're welcome :-).


24 comments:

Michelle said...

This is a very heartwarming story. I am so glad the parents came back!

Unknown said...

That's amazing. You just got another little gold star next to your name in heaven.

Janice Grinyer said...

YOU are amazing. 100 millions stars to you, my friend!

I believe your Robin was "talking" to you. I once had an indigo bunting hit our front window, hard. I went outside, and to prevent the cats from getting him, scooped him up and held him in my hand. He came to, hopped on a finger, and we just stared at each other for a few minutes. Soon enough he took flight and that was that...

Until next year's Spring. I had a little blue of a bird, who strangely looked like my friend from the previous year, land so close to me that I was afraid to breathe. He chattered at me, gave me an approving nod, and then took off into parts unknown.

Im pretty sure he was telling me about his year with a followup thank you. Your Robin babies will be back :)

Anonymous said...

OH , that is so lovely. What angels you were to do that for those birds. And do not think for a minute, that bird was not thanking you. HE WAS!!! Love the story, thank you!!! merri

Sheepmom said...

That is awesome! Great effort on everyone's part! I hope to hear good progress reports in the coming days.

Elainechicago said...

Bless you, Sarah, and Saint Tim!

Mary Loper said...

You are a hero to all creatures - great and small.

sophy0075 said...

I'm glad you were able to help them. I hope you get a break in the weather.

A family because those are the pair swooping in and out of our tiny yard)have set up a nest in our hanging tomato plant. It's too late in the season for productive egg-laying (we are also reluctant to push the plant aside to lose o in the next, for fear of jeopardizing any fledglings there/leaving a scent so that the parents don't return). The plant gets sun, but it's under the porch, so there's a bit of shade. This weather isn't bird friendly. The local hens don't lay when it's so hot.

sophy0075 said...

What I meant to write (which my iPhone erased) was that a pair of cardinals have decided our hanging tomato plant would be a good spot under which to build a nest.

Wear a hat when you watch your robins tomorrow. You don't want the angels to have to rescue you from heatstroke.

Lisa W said...

A very innovative solution that appears to have worked perfectly - gold stars to Crazy Sheep Lady and St. Tim!

Michelle said...

What an amazing story; best thing I've heard all day!

paula said...

Just call you Mother Nature Sara! You and Saint Tim are the best! I wish people would clean their fence lines when birds aren't nesting, we never did clearing at the farm after March first through autumn. Great pics and heart warming story, you made my week!

thecrazysheeplady said...

I peeked in on them last night and there were two babies, but I thought they looked lethargic. Was hoping it was just the time of day - almost dark - and said a bunch of "please help" prayers. I checked on the nest this morning and as I started to peer over, one very vigorous baby jumped up. I immediately stepped back. I'm hoping there are still two healthy babies, but there is at least one :-).

thecrazysheeplady said...

I wish I could still reply to individual comments. Love the stories about the blue bird and the cardinals!

knittinggrammy said...

heartwarming!!

Cheryl West said...

You and St. Tim are the kindest stewards of nature in your own realm. Thank you!

Marcy said...

What a great story to start my day with. I needed that! You two are truly Angels.

Terry and Linda said...

Love Love Love you! Thank you so much for seeing and doing something. I'm sure those little Robins felt the same way and were trying to tell you. Saint Tim and Saint Sara!

MeridianJacobs said...

Amazing story. Thank you.

LannieK said...

How beautiful! I am glad ypu shared ~ You both are the human angles Mr & Mrs Robin thinks you are, full of ♡, love and caring.

Karen at longwell said...

How wonderful are you both??? Great, great story! Thank you so much for sharing with us :-)

Strawberry Lane said...

Simply wonderful! This absolutely made my day! Look forward to updates. You are an amazing gift to nature!

I need orange said...

Thank you for helping them. What a good idea to give them branches to shade the babies. Perfect.

Shirley said...

Quick and creative thinking! Bless you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin