https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/https://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/hug-sheep-day.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/farm-shop.htmlhttps://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/punkin_11.htmlhttp://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/p/equinox-farm.html

Friday, August 2, 2013

Why I Hate To Leave The Farm

I love living with all our sheep, horses, cats, dogs...  I really feel like it's a privilege and I'm thankful for every one of them.  Almost all the time ;-).  However, being responsible for their care can be stressful.  Stressful to the point that I seldom even leave the farm any more.  

I've started trailering Hickory over to a nearby farm to ride and take some lessons a couple evenings a week.  Before I left this evening I made one last check on all the paddocks to make sure everything looked okay. I told everyone that Hank was in charge while I was gone.  The boys were napping in their temporary stall and all seemed well.

I came home to this.


"Whatchu mean my nose is all red?"


Holy cow!  What happened?!?  Is that blood???


"Whoa, that DOES look bad!"

At this point I am frantically looking all over trying to figure out what's gone horribly wrong.  It doesn't really look like blood, but what else could it be?!?  Paint?  We have a couple old red gates and sometimes I see pink spots on top of some sheep's heads where they've been rubbing on them, but there is nothing in the field this color!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Or is there...




I'd set the watermelon rind out for the chickens.  None of our other sheep have ever acted in the least bit interested.  Bitey Whitey and Daniel Not-Boone are officially addicts.

And now I'm afraid to leave the farm because I might miss something really funny ;-).  

29 comments:

Abby said...

Would this be considered naturally dyed wool? :) Very cute.

Tombstone Livestock said...

LOL Sara, they are just testing you, keeping you on your toes to see if you are paying attention to them to find out if they just got dropped of in Kentucky to fend for themselves. Too cute.

Alice said...

Phew! Nail biter of a story. Those of us who have read your blog know that you have come home to situations that were quite sad indeed. Glad that watermelon is the culprit and not something dangerous.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You will have to start growing melons! :)

Lori Skoog said...

Ha ha! How did your ride go the other night?

Anchor Cottage said...

That's pretty darn funny:-)

Lady Locust said...

Too funny. It sure makes me miss the woolly little critters.
Smiles,

Thirteen Sheep (Or More) said...

Hmmmm.....watermelon as a dye. I wonder..

I need orange said...

This makes me think of the time we showed up to collect our kid from preschool. We looked across the room, and saw her with what looked like a big bruise and a scrape on her cheek. We immediately checked our mailbox for an "incident report" -- they put paper documentation of anything like that in the boxes.

One of the teachers saw us, saw our faces, saw us look at the box.... She looked at our kid, and her eyes got big. She rushed over to the kid.

Who was drawing with chalk, and had managed to put that very artistic "injury" on her face. Even up close it looked pretty realistic. She hasn't gone into stage makeup, but perhaps if her current day job doesn't work out......

It does give you a turn when you see "blood" from across the room, doesn't it? lol.............

Bandon, Oregon said...

LOL... I always LOVE your pictures... I too, had this same thing happened, putting the watermelon out for the chickens and having the cows and sheep just go crazy for it.... too funny...

Faith

Unknown said...

Watermelon-eating sheep!

That is a cool looking first picture where he seems to be hiding so you wouldn't notice his red nose:-).

Auntie Reg said...

The Boys are so cute. Now I have a name for the foursome. Melonheads :-)

Wol 'n Draad said...

HAHAHA!! This is soo funny! The boys do keep you busy!
Love, Ineke

Sheepmom said...

They are now officially southern, watermelon-eating sheep! I bet they'd eat grits, too. And the mint out of the juleps. Probably even DRINK the juleps, knowing these boys :-)

Stacey said...

That is SO funny! That's a lamby for you.

Made me think of when Doodle was tiny and we were watching him for any and all signs of any dreaded lamb disease. He was violently sucking his bottle, and we saw this bump on his nose near his mouth that looked sort of pink (maybe blood?). I thought, oh no, it's Orf. We were frantic. Grab his face, check his muzzle. Yeah, it was a bubble of milk froth on his pink little nose. Sheesh!

Unknown said...

How cute!!! Critters get into the oddest things!

Rae said...

That is so funny. I knew the minute I saw Daniel Not-Boone I liked him a lot and this reaffirms it. Silly sheep.

small farm girl said...

That's just funny right there.....lol!!!!!

Sandra said...

Sheep keep life interesting :)

Susan said...

i do know what you mean about being 'tied' down to the animals but watermelon on the nose makes up for it!

Anonymous said...

Sweet story, and sweeter sheep! :)

Suzan said...

Aweeee - too cute!! He only got busted because he's white and not brown!! Smart sheep!

Andee said...

Oh that is too funny.

FullyFleeced said...

So glad it was just Watermelon Nose! Too funny :)

cyndy said...

Too cute!

Now, that is what I call a "snootfull"!!

m. said...

The day after Halloween I go down to our local farm market and collect a truck load of pumpkins. All our sheep love them and the orange faces are priceless!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Ooh - don't let me forget!!!

Tammy said...

Ha...love it. My sheep love pumpkins and cantaloupe (rinds and all!)but I only had one eat the watermelon. You just never know. I even had them scarfing up banana peels one day. These are all suppose to be chicken scraps too. I know how it is though when they pull something like that and your heart just drops when you think you see blood...or an injury. I once thought my old ram had impaled himself on a stick...but it was just stuck in his wool.

Tammy

Ed said...

Abby had the best comment! Whitey and Daniel rock! :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin